Monday, October 20, 2008

Miscommunication...

I can think of many instances when miscommunication occurred in my past workplaces. But I'll just name a few...first, for 6 years before I came to college I worked in my family's business, so one day when I was running the register and taking people's orders in the coffee bar, my brother called on the store's phone and was yelling about something. Well it was really busy and I was swamped with customers, and I yelled back on the phone "HOLD ON A SECOND!!" The poor little lady at the register waiting to place an order thought I was talking to her and got really upset and left. I have never felt so bad before. I tried to tell her that I was only talking to my brother on the phone, but she was long gone by then. If I would have controlled my temper and just hung up, or maybe if he wouldn't have called inthe first place, it wouldn't have happened. Oh well.
When I was a Junior in high school, one afternoon, it was just me and my mom working at the store, because some one had called in sick. Well apparently the City was doing a smoke test in all of the pipes and failed to alert any of the downtown restaurants. My Mom and I thought that the refridgerator was on fire and expelled an entire fire extinguisher all over the restaurant. It took about a month to clean that place absolutely spotless from all of the extinguisher residue. If the city would have alerted the downtown business we wouldn't have had to close the business down (because we did and lost 7 hours of business), and wouldn't have had to deal with all of the mess that we accidentally made.
Thos are just a couple of my work miscommunications!

No comments: