Monday, October 27, 2008

Dual Coding Theory


I was not in class for the Dual Coding Theory lecture, but I have researched it and looked at our class PowerPoint. What I can conclude is that the brain processes visual images and textual images at different rates and then smushes them together so that the observer can put 2 and 2 together and come up with a conclusion as to what the picture (or in this case AD) is about. When I first saw this image, I read the words first, just like the Dual Coding Theory said I would. Then I saw that this picture is obviously in some sort of gymnasium, or locker room for a sports team. When I was in high school, I played Varsity soccer, and our locker room had a message above the door that said "Play Like Champions Today" on it...or something like that I don't really remember. Anyway, although I did read the words first, I did realize that it had to do with sports, not only because the words are in a locker room, but because they are motivational and clique of any sports team. This is an effective ad for Nike I think. It got the message across to me.

No comments: